Thanks for your interest in joining our team! Please check back frequently — we will routinely add positions that may interest you.
For questions or concerns, please email email@example.com.
The Kansas Democratic Party (KDP) is seeking an experienced and motivated individual to serve as Executive Director and lead our Party through 2020 and beyond. The Executive Director’s primary responsibilities are to oversee all of the KDP’s departments, build the team and manage the staff, lead the Party’s campaign efforts, oversee the short and long-term financial health of the Party, and successfully execute a variety of high-level events and conventions. The Executive Director is responsible for well-managed Party programs that build the Party at the grassroots level, strengthen its infrastructure, and effectively execute the vision of the Chair. This person must be committed to the KDP’s values and platform.
This is a full-time position located in Topeka, Kansas, and reports to the State Party Chair as well as the Executive Committee.
Position Duties and Responsibilities Include (but are not limited to):
- Manage communications, digital, finance, political, operations, and data departments
- Recruit, hire, train, and manage staff
Building and Maintaining Relationships
- Develop and maintain professional relationships with state and national Democratic Party leaders, elected officials, key constituencies, and donors
- Maintain close working relationships with various partners including, but not limited to — DNC, DCCC, DSCC, DGA, DLCC, EMILY’s List, ASDC and ASDED — as well as other national and state partners as allowed by law
- Build and nurture relationships with congressional district and county party leaders, party volunteers and activists, and other stakeholders
Fundraising, Finance, and Operations
- Working with the Finance Director, build, track, and assess budgets for state party headquarters operations as well as coordinated campaign
- Working with the Finance Director, create and manage an overall fundraising plan.
- Raise the funds needed to run the party organization, including taking a strong, personal role in fundraising efforts, including doing significant call time, attending fundraising events, and interacting proactively and effectively with a range of donors
- Oversee large-scale events such as twice-yearly conventions and 2020 Party-run Presidential Primary
- Run the Party’s day-to-day operations
- Serve as Party’s main on-the-record spokesperson, speaking out on important issues, responding to attacks, and presenting the KDP in a positive, professional light
- Assure that the Party has a strong Messaging Strategy in place and provide input to the Digital Media Director regarding public communications such as press releases and emails
- With Coordinated Campaign Director, manage Coordinated Campaign, including developing and executing the plan; hiring, training, and managing staff; and raising KDP’s portion of funds
- Participate in candidate recruitment as necessary
- Ascertain and promote other aspects of political development including voter registration priorities and programs
- Manage strong volunteer program including recruitment, development, and retention programs.
Other Duties as Assigned
- Experience building and leading teams
- An excellent internal leader with the ability to develop, motivate, manage and build strong teams that regularly achieve and maintain superior levels of performance
- Experience developing and managing budgets
- Exceptionally strong time management skills with the ability to manage multiple projects and competing priorities simultaneously under strict deadlines
- Detail oriented with exceptional organizational skills
- Responsive and positive team leader who thrives off of versatility and constant new challenges
- Exceptional people skills and patience
- Excellent verbal, written, and analytical skills
- An excellent communicator who is comfortable speaking to large and small groups and to reporters and on camera
- Ability to handle and perform well under pressure
- Professional, reliable, honest
- An unwavering commitment to Democratic values
- Ability to travel and work nights and weekends as needed
How to Apply:
Interested candidates should submit a resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please list “Executive Director” in the subject line. Position will be open until filled and applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis. Salary is commensurate with experience. This is a salaried position that offers some health and PTO benefits.
The Kansas Democratic Party (KDP) is an equal opportunity employer committed to creating an inclusive workplace. The KDP is dedicated to achieving equality of opportunity for all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, marital status, age, national origin or disability.