Voting can seem confusing at times. That’s why we put together our most frequently asked questions about voting! Read more below.
I have moved to Kansas

Welcome to Kansas! You will need to register to vote. You can register to vote as soon as you move to Kansas. Click here to learn more information.

I have moved within Kansas

If you moved to a new address, you’ll need to update your voter registration with your local election office or the Secretary of State’s office through mail or online. See Secretary of State’s page here.

You can check your voter registration status at or the Secretary of State’s Voter View website here.

I need a free photo ID

Free photo IDs are available! You can get a free non-driver ID card at the Division of Motor Vehicles or any driver’s license office. You will have to sign a form (Form DE-V1D1 – Certification Requesting Fee Waiver for Non-driver Identification Card), which contains an affidavit stating that you are registered to vote and don’t have a photographic identification document.

Form DE-VID1 available at DMV, county election offices, and

I am a college student

As a student you have the choice about where to register to vote. You should register to vote at the address you consider your residency. This address can be either your family’s home or the address where you attend school. You must only register at one place and must update your voter registration whenever this address changes. 

Kansas residents registering to vote in their college towns have the choice to vote early by mail, or in person, and on Election Day  in their college town.

Kansas residents registering to vote in their hometown, in a different county than their school, have the choice to vote early by mail, or in person, or drive home to vote in person on Election Day.

Out-of-state residents registering to vote in their home state will need to check out that state’s requirements including deadlines and early vote or by mail options so you can vote in the elections.

Our voter assistance hotline is happy to help you make a plan! Give us a call on your walk to the library and we’re happy to help.

I am a naturalized citizen

New citizens can register to vote after participating in a naturalization ceremony. As a new United States citizen, you are encouraged to register to vote and actively participate in choosing your government representatives.

To register to vote in Kansas you must:

  • Be a citizen of the United States
  • Be a resident of Kansas
  • Be 18 by the next election
  • Have completed the terms of your sentence if convicted of a felony; a person serving a sentence for a felony conviction is ineligible to vote
  • Not claim the right to vote in any other location or under any other name or not be excluded from voting by a court

After your Citizenship and Immigration Services ceremony you may have already registered to vote. You can look up your name and information to see if you are registered here. If so, don’t forget to verify that information is correct.

If you are not registered to vote. You can:

1. Register to vote online at Kansas Secretary of State’s website here. You need a Kansas driver’s license or non-driver’s identification card to use the Kansas online voter registration system. If you don’t have a Kansas-issued ID, you can still register in person or by mail to vote.

2. You can register to vote in person. Contact your local election office for information on when and where to register to vote here.

3. Register to vote by mail. You can print out either the Kansas Voter Registration Application or the Federal Voter Registration Application.

For the Kansas Voter Registration application you will complete, sign, and mail the application to your county election office.

For the Federal form, the form and instructions can be found here.

Don’t wait until election day in Kansas to register to vote because Kansas does not offer same day voter registration. You have to register to vote by October 18, 2022 for the November 2022 election.

Please contact the voter assistance hotline if you have any questions or concerns!

I was convicted of a felony

Individuals who have been convicted of felonies must complete their entire sentence, including probation or parole and full payment of outstanding court debt. Then, once the sentence is complete, an individual who has a felony must re-register to vote. It is not automatic.

You do not lose your right to vote if you are convicted of a misdemeanor in Kansas. If you are incarcerated for a misdemeanor you should check voter registration status, register to vote if necessary, and request an absentee ballot from office administrators at your complex. You can vote while awaiting trial for any charge, even if incarcerated, as long as you have not lost your right to vote due to a prior conviction.

Still have questions? We know you have a lot on your mind, reach out to our voter assistance hotline below and we’re happy to help!

If you’re having trouble accessing a phone to call the hotline, have a friend or family member reach out so we can support you in making a plan to vote!

I am in the military/live overseas

Uniform and Overseas Citizens Absentee Voting Act (UOCAVA) allows for overseas voting, or federal services voting, for active duty military and family members and individuals, living abroad. To qualify, voters must meet the criteria set out in the Federal Uniformed and Overseas Citizens Absentee Voting Act. See for more information about qualifications. Absentee voters who qualify under this act should apply for a ballot in the Kansas county election office where their residence is located. It is not necessary for qualifying individuals to be registered to vote in the county which they vote.

The Federal Voting Assistance Program (FVAP) provides a ballot application called the Federal Post Card Application (FPCA). Voters who file the application before a primary election should automatically receive a ballot for the general election that year. Although there is no statutory deadline for applications to be submitted, they must be submitted with enough time to allow transmittal time to and from the voter.

Here’s what to do:

  1. Fill out the Federal Post Card Application (FPCA). Your election official may have questions, so please provide an email address or phone number where they can reach you.
  2. Send the application to your election office that you consider your residence.
    It is never too early to submit an FPCA! You can go online now to apply.
  3. Complete your ballot.
  4. Fill it out and send back your ballot as soon as you receive it. Confirm with your county office but you should be able to mail, fax, or email the ballot.
  5. Verify your ballot was received and counted by contacting your county election office.

Democrats living abroad can also go to to register and/or request a ballot and read about election information and deadlines.


¿Tienes preguntas?

Llama a nuestra línea de apoyo al votante al:

Voter Assistance Hotline:

785-294-3457  (785-294-34KS)