October 26, 2020
KDP Calls on Kansas GOP to Withdraw Support From Michael O’Donnell
Topeka, KS – The Kansas Democratic Party is calling on the Kansas GOP to withdraw their support from Michael O’Donnell’s reelection campaign.
As reported by the Wichita Eagle, Sedgwick County Commissioner Michael O’Donnell “was the driving force behind the conspiracy” to maliciously discredit current Mayor Brandon Whipple in 2019. Secret recordings released last week further implicate O’Donnell in his clandestine efforts to undermine Party leadership. Today’s announcement from the KDP comes on the heels of the Sedgwick County District Attorney opening an investigation into Michael O’Donnell and co-conspirators Rep. Michael Capps and Wichita Councilman James Clendenin.
“Michael O’Donnell is unfit for public office and has time and time again betrayed the trust of Sedgwick County residents,” said KDP Chair Vicki Hiatt. “In light of these implications, we urge Mike Kuckelman, the Kansas GOP and anyone else supporting Mr. O’Donnell to rethink and publicly withdraw their support. The voters of Sedgwick County will set the record straight by electing Sarah Lopez on November 3, 2020.”
Background on O’Donnell’s Clandestine Operations:
- Wichita Eagle: Secret recording: O’Donnell, Capps, Clendenin plot how to get away with Whipple smear (10/23/2020)
- Wichita Eagle: Video-maker dropped from Whipple’s defamation lawsuit after turning over evidence (10/23/2020)
- Wichita Eagle: O’Donnell, Capps, Clendenin conspired to smear Whipple, blame GOP chair, lawsuit says (10/14/2020)
- Wichita Eagle: O’Donnell has to testify in Whipple attack ad suit, but what he says can’t be released (09/30/2020)
- Wichita Eagle: Michael O’Donnell tries to delay smear-ad testimony until after election (09/14/2020)
- Wichita Eagle: Anatomy of a smear campaign, Part 1: Who framed Brandon Whipple? (07/05/2020)
- Wichita Eagle: Anatomy of a smear campaign, Part 2: ‘Sleaze with a capital S’ (07/05/2020)
- Wichita Eagle: Anatomy of a smear campaign, Part 3: Broken politics, broken alliances (07/05/2020)
Power our grassroots campaign
Help us elect Democrats up and down the ballot across Kansas.
Click an amount to start your donation. If you’ve saved your information with ActBlue Express, your donation will go through immediately.