September 30, 2020
KC STAR: Competing internal polls show tight Senate race between Marshall, Bollier in Kansas
Topeka, KS – This morning, the Kansas City Star published an analysis of two internal polls both indicating the race for the open Kansas Senate seat is in a dead heat. Additionally, the Republican conducted poll shows Roger Marshall continuing to underperform and struggling to make up his margin.
“Dr. Barbara Bollier’s message to bring commonsense and independence to Washington is resonating with Kansans across the Sunflower State,” said KDP Spokesperson Reeves Oyster. “At the same time, Kansans recognize Roger Marshall for who he truly is: a hyper-partisan politician who will carry water for his Republican bosses while leaving hardworking Kansans behind. Kansans know Dr. Barbara Bollier is the right choice in this race and we look forward to making history by sending her to Washington on November 3rd.”
- The U.S. Senate race between Kansas Republican Rep. Roger Marshall and Democrat Barbara Bollier is within single digits, according to a pair of internal polls obtained by The Kansas City Star.
- The surveys disagree about which candidate holds the narrow lead, but both place the contest within the margin of error.
- Marshall holds a 4 percentage point lead over Democrat Barbara Bollier in the race for U.S. Senate and is underperforming with Republican voters, according to a poll paid for by the Keep Kansas Great PAC, a political action committee that supports Marshall.
- It’s the first Republican poll released since Marshall won the hotly-contested GOP primary in August. The results appear to weaken Republican contentions that the Kansas seat became safe from flipping when Marshall won the GOP nomination over rival Kris Kobach.
- “Marshall is significantly underperforming other key metrics like the generic ballot and Presidential ballot. He has significant room to grow particularly with general election Republican voters,” states the internal polling memo, obtained by The Kansas City Star.
- Bollier leads Marshall 45 % to 43 %, according to a survey of 600 likely voters conducted between Sept. 24 and 27.
- The poll was conducted by Washington-based GBAO strategies. The polling memo states that Bollier has “more cross-party and moderate support” than Marshall.
- Both polls line up closely with surveys released by progressive groups last month, which showed Marshall’s lead within the margin of error. An August poll paid for by EMILY’s List, a group which supports Bollier, gave Marshall a 1-point lead.
- Marshall, a two-term congressman, has sought to closely align with President Donald Trump during the campaign, but the poll finds him underperforming the president.
WHAT THEY’RE SAYING:
Power our grassroots campaign
Help us elect Democrats up and down the ballot across Kansas.
Click an amount to start your donation. If you’ve saved your information with ActBlue Express, your donation will go through immediately.