September 2, 2020
ICYMI: Roger “Misinformation” Marshall Spreads COVID-19 Lies to Mislead Kansans
After being called out last week for “campaigning dangerously” and being “profoundly foolish” for not wearing a mask in public, Roger Marshall continues to mislead and jeopardize the public safety of all Kansans by refusing to follow the public health guidance, spreading misinformation and not taking the COVID-19 pandemic seriously. Furthermore, despite the fact that over 180,000 Americans and over 450 Kansans are dead, Marshall recently gave Donald Trump an “A+” rating for his failed COVID-19 response.
- Marshall’s original post suggested that the 94% of COVID-19 deaths with underlying health conditions did not die from COVID-19. Rather, they died with COVID-19 and as the result of other illnesses, he said, according to a screenshot obtained by Topeka television station KSNT. He said the CDC “quietly updated” the death data.
- “He regularly refuses to wear a mask or maintain social distance while campaigning in public. He continues to hawk hydroxychloroquine,” said Alexandra De Luca, Bollier’s spokesperson, in a statement. “And rather than giving Kansans advice based on what he should have learned in medical school, he says whatever his fellow DC politicians want him to. The last thing we need in Washington is a doctor-turned-politician who has been caught repeatedly — now even by Facebook — spreading misinformation about the pandemic.”
- Dr. Thomas Moore, an infectious disease specialist affiliated with Wesley Medical Center in Wichita, said that people have misinterpreted the CDC death data on underlying health conditions. Almost all death certificates list one or more contributing conditions, which doctors call comorbidities.
- In the case of COVID-19, many of the comorbid factors such as pneumonia, lung disease, kidney and heart failure are actually caused by the coronavirus infection and the patient wouldn’t have had those if they didn’t catch the virus.
- “I would challenge anybody who thinks it’s nothing to come on down to the ICU,” he said. “I’ll be happy to show you what nothing can do.”
Background Round Up:
Driving the news: Trump’s post incorrectly claimed that “only 6%” of those listed in the CDC’s tally “actually died from COVID” and “the other 94% had 2-3 other serious illnesses.” But Fauci said, “The numbers that you’ve been hearing — there are 180,000-plus deaths — are real deaths from COVID-19. Let [there] not be any confusion about that.”
A Facebook post claimed that the CDC decreased the number of COVID-19 deaths in the U.S. from 153,504 to 9,210. That’s wrong. As of Aug. 31, the CDC counted 182,622 Americans who had died because of the coronavirus. A NCHS report found that, for about 6% of Americans who die from the virus, COVID-19 is the only condition listed on their death certificates. But that doesn’t mean the remaining 94% didn’t die due to the coronavirus… In 92% of death certificates that mention the virus, COVID-19 was the underlying cause of death, according to the NCHS.
Twitter on Sunday took down a tweet containing a false claim about coronavirus death statistics that was made by a supporter of the baseless QAnon conspiracy theory — a post that President Donald Trump had retweeted earlier in the day.
A Centers for Disease Control and Prevention report is being twisted by conspiracy theorists to imply the COVID-19 death toll is not as serious as it sounds, health experts say. In response, Dr. Anthony Fauci and other medical authorities say unequivocally that at least 180,000 Americans have died because of this virus.
It is false and misleading to claim that only 6% of reported coronavirus deaths were the result of COVID-19. While comorbidities often exacerbate a person’s illness from the coronavirus, it is incorrect to state that they are the cause of death rather than the viral infection. We rate this claim FALSE.
Power our grassroots campaign
Help us elect Democrats up and down the ballot across Kansas.
Click an amount to start your donation. If you’ve saved your information with ActBlue Express, your donation will go through immediately.