Friday, April 24, 2020
Welcome to the KDP Weekly Rundown – the Kansas Democratic Party’s update of the biggest things going on in the state party and the state government. What are we focused on this week? A 2020 Primary update, Kansas GOP fracturing from U.S. Senate Race, Kansas expands COVID-19 testing, Governor Laura Kelly explains gradual process to re-open Kansas businesses to prevent a premature end to COVID-19 precautions, Trump’s inadequate and chaotic response to COVID-19, our BKC progress, upcoming training opportunities and a DNC update!
The KDP Team has released a 2020 Primary Toolkit for Democrats across Kansas! Please feel free to utilize the included resources to inform others about important dates and deadlines concerning the upcoming primary election. We will update the drive as we produce more graphics and informational content.
2020 PRIMARY UPDATE
The Kansas Democratic Party is in the process of counting 2020 Primary ballots. If you have not received your ballot yet, please fill out this form to request another ballot – the deadline to request a ballot is today, April 24th. Make sure you check in with your networks to make sure they fill out their ballots and meet the “received by” deadline of May 2, 2020.
- KDP In the Press
- Kansas Democratic Party Makes Voting Changes. Kiowa County Signal, April 21, 2020.
KANSAS GOP FRACTURING FROM U.S. SENATE RACE
(Kansas City Star) – Kansas GOP chair Mike Kuckelman sent letters Thursday to two Republican candidates asking them to drop out of the race for U.S. Senate for the good of the party.
Wagle campaign spokesman Matt Beynon: Private conversations with Mike Kuckelman over the past year have made it clear he’s been opposed to Susan’s campaign from the start, and today, he simply put that on paper. Others can speculate on his motives, but it may be as simple as he doesn’t support strong, pro-life conservative women.
Former Secretary of State Kris Kobach: Grassroots Republicans should be outraged. Our next Senator will be chosen by the people of Kansas — not the party elites. The Chairman’s attempted intervention into the GOP primary is inappropriate.
- Where can I learn more?
- Kansas GOP chair asks Wagle and Lindstrom to drop out of Senate race for good of party. Kansas City Star, April 23, 2020.
KANSAS EXPANDS CORONAVIRUS TESTING
(KWCH) – Governor Laura Kelly announced Sunday that Kansas has received new personal protective equipment, and will begin expanding COVID-19 testing in certain counties.
Dr. Lee Norman, KDHE Secretary: In order to fight this pandemic, collaboration at the state, local and federal level is paramount. Expanded testing and additional supplies from the federal level will equip and inform our state and local health officials as they work to protect the health of Kansans.
- Where can I learn more?
- Kansas Receives New PPE Supplies, To Expand COVID-19 Testing. KWCH12, April 20, 2020.
- Kansas Beefs Up Testing At Infection Clusters Linked To Meat Processing Plants. Topeka Capital-Journal, April 19, 2020.
- State Securing Emergency Housing In Four Counties With Large Meatpacking Plants. Topeka Capital-Journal, April 21, 2020.
- HHS Gives $8.5M To Kansas For COVID-19 Care In Rural Areas. KNSS Radio, April 22, 2020.
GOVERNOR KELLY EXPLAINS ‘GRADUAL PROCESS’ TO RE-OPEN KANSAS BUSINESSES TO PREVENT A PREMATURE END TO COVID-19 PRECAUTIONS
(KWCH) – Gov. Laura Kelly said Tuesday her administration continues to eye May 3 as the date to re-open business in Kansas. The governor said she hopes to release more details next week on how Kansas will emerge from the stay-at-home order once it expires.
Gov. Kelly said Kansas is depending on the federal government to offer up more testing supplies. She said the state is also doing its part to secure the supplies needed to expand testing.
- Where can I learn more?
- Gov. Laura Kelly Sticks With Stay-At-Home Order, Plans To Detail Re-Opening Next Week. KWCH, April 21, 2020
- Gov. Laura Kelly Explains ‘Gradual Process’ To Re-Open KS Businesses. KWCH, April 22, 2020
- Protestors Demand Gov. Kelly Re-Open Kansas. KSNT. April 23, 2020
- Hundreds Continue Anti-Lockdown Demonstrations As Supporters Of The President Descend On Michigan Governor’s Mansion And Kansas’ State Capital Demanding States Re-Open Economy. Daily Mail. April 23, 2020
- Protesters Converge On Kansas Capitol To Protest Stay-At-Home Order. KSNT. April 23, 2020
- Kansas Protest Stay-At-Home Order In Topeka. KWCH12. April 23, 2020.
TRUMP’S INADEQUATE AND CHAOTIC REPONSE TO COVID-19
The Trump administration’s failure to quickly scale up testing continues to cripple the US response to the pandemic. Even now — three months after the first detected case of the coronavirus in the US — testing remains a key challenge to President Donald Trump’s push to reopen the economy. Trump failed to ensure there would be ample testing supplies to support the effort, denied tests to already sick individuals, and avoided authorizing the Defense Production Act to increase the number of ventilators in circulation.
- Were can I learn more?
- How Coronavirus Testing Fumbles Squandered Valuable Time. CNN, April 20, 2020
- Trump Falsely Blames Governors For Virus Test. AP News, April 19, 2020
- Coronavirus Testing Hampered By Disarray, Shortages, Backlogs. WSJ Journal, April 19, 2020
- No Plan In Sight: Test Troubles Cloud Trump Recovery Effort. AP News, April 18, 2020
- ‘Delusional’: Governors Reject Pence’s Claim On Virus Testing. New York Times, April 19, 2020
- ‘We’re Beyond Angered’: Fed-Up Nurses File Lawsuits, Plan Protest at White House Over Lack Of Coronavirus Protections. Washington Post, April 21, 2020
BKC CAMPAIGN UPDATE
The KDP has reached the 95% mark to achieving our ambitious goal to add 100 BKC members to our team! Every new BKC member helps us to deliver our message in new and accessible ways: virtual organizing, at-home text banks, webinars focused on writing letters to the editor. Be sure to share this link with your network to help us reach our goal and build the best coordinated campaign Kansas has ever seen in 2020!
UPCOMING VIRTUAL TRAINING OPPORTUNITIES
ActBlue is offering a new webinar on creating an empowering email program during COVID-19 and beyond! If you’re interested in learning how to grow and cultivate your email list when you can’t connect with people in person, join ActBlue’s digital fundraising experts to discuss how your campaign can adapt to the moment. Sign up here to join ActBlue’s webinar on May 1st at 1:30 PM EST.
DNC UPDATE: DNC ANNOUNCES NEW NATIONAL RECORD LINKAGE SYSTEM
Today the Democratic National Committee is launching a new, proprietary national record linkage system that will be integrated into the DNC’s voter file — deduplicating millions of voter records, providing campaigns with a more comprehensive view of the electorate and increasing the effectiveness of Democratic organizers across the country.
“This record linkage system is an example of how the DNC is developing and implementing cutting-edge data science solutions to increase the effectiveness of Democratic organizers, improve our view of every possible voter and make sure Trump is a one-term president,” said Democratic National Committee Chief Technology Officer Nellwynn Thomas. “The DNC made early, historic investments in our data and technology infrastructure and is working with top data scientists to develop these kinds of innovative products that will help Democrats at every level of the ballot secure victory in November.”
Read more here.
P.S. Did a friend forward this to you? Click here to subscribe!